It is believed that both genes and environment play important roles. Up to 40 percent of young hypertensives have a family history of BP. Urban lifestyle - odd hours at office, night shift jobs and lack of or inadequate sleep- also plays a role.
Other reasons include substance abuse - cigarette smoking, cocaine, alcohol consumption - increase in stress levels, lack of exercise leading to an increased risk of diabetes mellitus, lack of sunlight (low vitamin D levels), neighborhood pollutants and psycho-social problems.
WHAT SHOULD ONE DO?
- Regular monitored exercise
- Outdoor games
- Regular doses of vitamin D through sunbathing
- High-fiber diet with lots of fruits and vegetables
- Quit smoking
- low alcohol intake
- Sound night sleep
- healthy, Compatible married life
- Identify family history and seek expert opinion
- Identify and treat diabetes
- avoid weight gain
Change your lifestyle to reverse the negative effects of hypertension!